Spicy, Cool, Turnip Salad
This post is a little different for me. My daughters and I love Chinese food, but it is very meat heavy! So, I have been looking online for good meatless Chinese recipes and I hit the mother load with this online download cookbook, Quick and Easy Chinese Vegetarian Cooking with Jim.
The recipes all sound fabulous and they are presented in a way that makes you feel like you are being welcomed into a Chinese home kitchen. Jim shares stories about where he got his recipes and his ideas that really bring the food to life right on the screen.
The only downfall I found was that he uses MSG and some ingredients that will take a special trip to the Asian market. But you know my style.. I just skip the MSG and substitute some of the crazy ingredients!
He has given me permission to share this recipe with you, which I both tried and loved!
If you buy the book through this link: Click Here! , I also get a small commission. At the very least, click the link and check-out his book. It will be worth a moment of your time 🙂
• Salted turnip … 400g (1pack)
• Sugar … 4 – 6 teaspoons
• Light soy sauce … 1 tablespoon (optional)
• Green onions … 3 – 4
• Chili oil … 3 – 5 teaspoons
• Grinded peppercorn … 1 – 2 teaspoons
• Sesame oil … 4 – 6 teaspoons
1. Rinse the turnips under water first to wash off any salt.
2. Cut the turnips into 2 inch long, thin strips. After you cut it,
run it through cold water one more time, and drain it well.
3. Cut the green onion into 1 ½ inch long, thin strips.
4. In a bowl, mix sugar, soy sauce, chili oil, grinded peppercorn,
and sesame oil.
5. Mix the green onions with the turnip.
6. Pour on the sauce, and mix well with the turnips, and serve.
Note: After you’ve mixed in the sauce with the turnips, I
recommend you store this dish for several hours first before
Bzesty’s Note: I used one fresh turnip and just four splashes of chili oil. (There is a heat sensitive eater in my house!) The carrots and sesame seeds were added for garnish only.
If you are interested in some Great Vegetarian Chinese recipes and would like to help support my blog, click this link Click Here! and get cooking with Jim!
Thank You!!! and Happy Cooking!
Tags: crispy, crispy salads, easy spicy soy sauce dressing, finger food salads, green onion in salad, inspired vegetarian chinese, marinated salad, meatless chinese, spicy salad, spicy salads, spicy turnip salad, summer salads, turnip recipe, turnip salad, vegetarian chinese recipes