Vegetarian Lasagna Pie In 40 Minutes
Lasagna is one of my favorite dishes, but I rarely make it. Why? It just takes too long! This dish is the answer to a weeknight dinner delemma. Super healthy, reduced fat, vegetarian lasgna can be made in just 40 minutes!
Vegetarian Lasagna Pie Ingredients:
• 9-10 Lasagna Noodles
• 1/2 Onion Diced
• 1 Can White or Garbanzo Beans
• 2-3 Cloves Garlic Minced
• 16 oz Can Tomato Sauce or Marinara Sauce
• 2-3 tsp Italian Seasoning
• 1 tsp Black Pepper
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
• 4-5 Mushrooms Chopped
• 1 Red or Green Pepper Chopped
• 8 oz Mozzarella Shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F.
2. Dice and mince all ingredients as necessary.
3. Start cooking your lasagna according to the package directions.
4. While cooking the lasagna, start cooking your onions on medium heat.
5. Lightly mash the beans.
6. Add a little olive oil to the onions, then add the mashed beans, minced garlic, tomato or marinara sauce and spices. Heat them through. Then take the pan off the heat.
7. The noodles should be done. Drain them and spray a pie (or cake) pan with non-stick cooking spray. Start arranging the noodles in wheel spoke pattern.
8. Sprinkle about 2 oz of the mozzarella on the layered noodles.
9. Mix the mushrooms and peppers into the beans and sauce mixture.
10. Save 1/2 cup of this mixture for the top of your pie.
11. Fill the pie with most of the sauce mixture.
12. Fold the spokes of the lasagna wheel over the top.
13. Spread the remaining sauce mixture over the top.
16. Finish with cheese and a little extra italian seasoning if you like.
17. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Note to Readers:
I found the recipe in a Cooking Light cookbook, but adjusted it to go with the base ingredients that were available in my kitchen. Substituting is a regular occurance for me and makes trying new recipes easier. I’m not a big fan of green peppers, but I always have red peppers. Tofu isn’t readily avaiable in my kitchen either, so I just used mashed beans. The end result is a recipe that is just right for my family’s taste buds. Feel free to make your own substitutions as well!
Tags: easy italian, lasagna on a budget, low fat lasagna, low fat main dish, meatless lasagna, meatless main dish, quick vegetarian, quick weeknight lasagna, vegetarian italian, vegetarian lasagna, vegetarian lasagna pie, vegetarian protein dish